Hey there fellow tech geeks, you have been playing with computer for some time or your smartphone and saw a really amazing website and said to yourself how was this thing build or like myself you saw a web application like a online image resizer or compressor and ask yourself how do i build something like this, well if this is you, you have come to the Right place.
Ok if you are here you must have a little idea on what is the internet, well the internet is kind of a big deal and without alot of new innovation like email, crypto-currency, or even you reading this article will not be possible.
However, the internet does not just spring out fully formed from some primordial goo. No, instead it is the hard work of thousands of dedicated and talented professionals, and these people are called web developers.
What is web development
Web development is the work involved in developing a website for the Internet (World wide web) or an intranet (a private network). Web development can range from developing a simple single static page of plain to complex web-based internet applications (web apps) electronic business, and service. The person who does web development are called web developers.
Why should i be a web developer
Now that we know who web developer is now we need to know why we want to become a web developer, the road to becoming a web developer is long and difficult and if you want to become one in One year you have to know your why.
Now that we know it’s not going to be easy, some of the advantages of becoming a web developer are:
- Highly Paid: In Nigeria the median income for a web developer was over 250000 Naira a month in company like jumia, konga, this is more than what most company pay for other professional career in Nigeria. Keep in mind, this includes people who have been doing the job for a long time and have acquired an impressive laundry list of skills and markup languages that they know. However, this number also includes people who are complete novices or only work as web developers part time. This means for a dedicated person. If you apply yourself and obtain a diverse set of skills associated with web development, you could easily earn 7 figures in a short amount of time.
- Work Remotely: One of the best things about web development is that it can be done anywhere that you have a reliable internet connection. This means you can work from home without a second thought. Moreover, many companies are increasingly hiring remote positions, because it allows them to save on the overhead of maintaining an office. Of course, you will need to be dedicated and avoid the numerous distractions that working from home can bring.
- Freedom: Another great thing about becoming a web developer is the option to work as an independent contractor, also known as a freelancer. Essentially, you become your own boss. You pick the jobs you want to do, and you get to set your own schedule. However, this also means you will need a broader set of skills as you will have to actively find and secure clients. Moreover, this can carry some of the same distraction issues that working from home does, though both of those advantages often go hand-in-hand.
- Self Expression: How many times have you been surfing the web and been stunned by a truly amazing website. The design is flawless, the aesthetic sublime, the interface effortless. Finding a truly well-made website is like discovering a piece of art–only one that you get to interact with. As a web developer, you will have a whole suite of skills and tools at your disposal to go out and create the next great work of hypertext art.
- Diversification:. Maybe building websites does not really get your motor going. Never fear, because the internet has a solution for you too. For the first time in its short history, more people connected to the internet through their mobile devices than they did through PCs. Moreover, certain areas of the world, like East Asia, saw anywhere from 70 to 90 percent of their internet traffic occur through mobile devices. This means that not only will mobile web development continue to increase, so will the other primary uses of smartphones and tablets–namely apps. Granted, you will have to apply your self a bit more and learn more languages than is absolutely necessary for just website creation, but you will then be able to create killer apps which could rake in huge royalties if they take off.
How to become a web developer
Now that we know who a web developer and you have found your why, let get to the main gist of how to be a developer.
Becoming a web developer first begins with learning the requisite skills necessary to create and maintain websites. Thankfully, the coding languages required for website development are not nearly as complicated to learn ad traditional languages like C, C++ etc.
What to learn
HTML: Also known as hypertext markup language, this is the Foundation of website coding languages. In fact, all websites are still technically html files that are read by your browser from a server. This is a markup language that help structure how pages are arranged. This language is fairly straight-forward and easy to learn. Even just applying yourself part-time, you can learn html in a month. Granted, you can learn it much quicker with more effort and time. However, mastering html will often take longer, but you can gain functional knowledge to begin experimenting with website development rather quickly.
Remember to practice as you learn.
CSS: CSS meaning cascading style sheets, does just what its name implies: adds a sense of style to the html files. Without CSS, web pages are bit bland and are not nearly as easy to make attractive or interesting. These days, along with html, CSS is one of the primary coding languages required to produce a contemporary website with all of the features and aesthetics we have come to expect.
Learn frameworks , libraries and cms
Frameworks , libraries and cms are code function written by someone else that you can utilize instead of writing it yourself from scratch.
Learn libraries like;
Learn frameworks like:
Learn cms like
If you are able to learn these languages and create use website and web application with these languages you have become a web developer
On the next article i will talk on how to get paid as a web developer.
Remember practice practice practice and don’t forget to practice.